TOP NEWS FROM APRIL 4 TO APRIL 8
BY AMBER LUCAS, NEWS ASSISTANT
Monday, April 4
- A mass shooting in Sacramento, CA, left at least 6 people dead and 12 more wounded.
- The Grammy’s were presented on April 3, winners including Olivia Rodrigo as Best New Artist and Jon Batiste for Album of the Year.
- Kenya is looking to slow global warming by turning to more renewable energy across Africa.
Tuesday, April 5
- Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky meets with United Nations Security Council to address killing of civilians by Russian troops.
- United Nations Chief says we are on a “fast track to climate disaster” due to broken promises by world leaders.
- Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson is brought before the whole Senate after a deadlock in the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Wednesday, April 6
- Oklahoma lawmakers vote to restrict nearly all abortions in the state.
- President Biden extends pause on student loan payments.
- Tiger Woods plans to play in the week’s Master’s Tournament.
Thursday, April 7
- Both China and U.S. leaders call into question Ukrainian civilian deaths due to Russian invasion.
- Man who moved into his daughter’s Sarah Lawrence College dorm and was accused of abusing her friends is convicted.
- Supreme Court votes to reinstate Trump era rule making it harder for states to block projects that could pollute water sources.
Friday, April 8
- Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson was confirmed to the Supreme Court, becoming the first Black woman ever appointed to the position.
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warns that a surge of COVID-19 cases will happen in the fall.
- United Nations votes to suspend Russia from the Human Rights Council amid accusations of war crimes